Thursday, January 27, 2011

Thursday afternoon

Everyone is leaving this afternoon.  Jamai and I are going to OKC and Grace is going back to Carrollton.  Suzie is coming over to spend the night and part of tomorrow.  Jamai and Margaret will be here Friday evening, and I think the Ramos family is coming also.

We had a hard time getting Dad settled last night.  He had to have his undergarment changed at bedtime, and he was literally fighting mad.  Jamai is very efficient and professional but I had to hold Dad's arms to keep him from hitting Jamai while she changed him.  Sometimes when you look in Dad's eyes, you realize he is just not comprehending what is going on around him.  This morning he went to his chair in his pajamas (with the vest on, of course!).  He stayed there until the Hospice workers to came, and they bathed him in the chair in front of the fire and put clean clothes on him.  I had to give him extra medication this morning to calm him before the workers came because he was very adament that he was NOT going to put on his clothes today.  He asked again if we were going to OKC today, and I told him he would have to put his clothes on to travel, and he responeded "WHY??"

Dad is not moving around much, but he has given us 2 surprises.  We did not think he could ambulate without a cane or walker, but while we were in the kitchen playing cards, Dad got up unaided and went into the bathroom.  This afternoon, he was sitting on the porch in the sun.  We were all putting away groceries but when I looked out the glass doors, there he was with the porch door open and the walker already half out the door.  He was only inches away from going right down the stairs on his face.  Jamai and I ran out and grabbed him in time. It just proves that we do need to keep an eye on him.  The Hospice workers brought an alarm today that can be clipped on his clothing and will sound if he gets out of his chair or bed.  Mom, Grace, Jamai and I were playing cards when I decided to investigate the new gadget.  I almost peed laughing at the shocked, alarmed reaction from the others when I set off the alarm!!  It IS loud!

I am writing down the medication instructions and routine so others who come will know what to do to assist Mom and Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment