Sunday, January 30, 2011

Update

Dad is declining rapidly.  Jamai, Grace, and I left on Thursday.  Suzie stayed with Mom on Thursday evening.  Dad did manage to come to the dinner table, and after dinner turned to Mom and said "Can I sleep with you tonight?"  He was very confused and talked about 'getting the guys together to cut wood'.  Dad needed the chain saw and they needed to get started.  Finally, Mom said, 'Well, let's go look for it' and Dad went with her into the bedroom.  Then they managed to get him ready for bed.  On Friday afternoon, Margaret and the Ramos' family came.  Dad was unable to get out of bed on Friday and was pretty non-responsive.  They called the Hospice nurse and Jamai arrived before the nurse.  Thank heavens we have a nurse in the family to evaluate Dad.  Jamai gave Dad a breathing treatment.  I had planned to work Sat and Sun, but after a Friday evening call decided to come back to the ranch.  Jordan, Stacy, and I drove down Saturday morning.  It is very sad to see Dad so frail.  I don't think he will live much longer.  Sisters and Mom talked about funeral arrangements.  Hospice is going to deliver a hospital bed tomorrow - it will make it easier to move him into a sitting position and easier for the Hospice workers to bathe and care for him.  Knowledge of the approaching finality doesn't make it easier to deal with.  I am very glad that Melissa, Jordan, and Jake were able to be here this weekend.
Dad has not been out of bed since Thursday evening, and has not eaten.  He has had very little liquid.  We give a little water with a straw, but he can not suck on the straw.  The Hospice nurse and counselor will come tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment